Online Hindustani Classical/Semiclassical Music competition
When: Saturday, December 5th and Sunday, December 6th, 2020
Svara Yogita is an online Hindustani Classical / Semiclassical music competition organized by Svara Sangam. The competition is only open for participation by residents of North America and Canada interested in Hindustani Classical music – Vocal and Instrumental.
Details: This competition will have two rounds – The qualifying round and the final round.
Categories for participation:
- Hindustani classical vocal (Khayal – Bada / Chhota and Tarana (Tarana is optional) )
- Instrumental (Harmonium, String and Wind instruments)
- Instrumental – Tabla
- Semi-Classical – This category includes Devotional and Semi-Classical , Natya Sangeet songs – (No Thumri, dadra, Tappa, Kajri, Chaiti, Hori can be presented in this category)
Age Categories for (Age as of Registration deadline for the qualifying round-October 25, 2020)
- 10 and under
- 11-14 years old
- 15-25 years old
- 26 years old and above.
Rules for the Qualifying round:
- The first round will be the qualifying round.
- The participants can register for any/all categories
- For the qualifying round, each participant is required to send a video link of their performance. For this round, the video length SHOULD NOT EXCEED 6 MINUTES for age groups 14 and below, and 8 MINUTES for age groups 15 and above.
- It is mandatory for the participants to use an electronic Tanpura (Machine/App), and Live/ Electronic Tabla. For classical vocal, the use of live Harmonium accompaniment is NOT ALLOWED. For semiclassical vocal, use of any accompaniment / track is allowed. Participants will be disqualified if these rules are not adhered to when preparing the video.
- All videos should be submitted prior to the deadline via a YOUTUBE video link ONLY. Please ensure that the link is made public for the judges to view.
Rules while recording the video:
- The video should be exclusively made for Svara Yogita 2020. Already existing/modified videos will be disqualified. Please note that the video must be unedited. Your entry may get disqualified if there is a trace(s) of editing of the video.
- The participants should state their name, age, Raag (classical) and Taal (for tabla), and the name of the competition- “Svara Yogita 2020 – Round 1” prior to their performance. A video without this information will get disqualified. No other information like the name of Guru or school should be mentioned. If any such information is mentioned, the video will be disqualified.
- The face of the participant, hands, and the instrument must be clearly visible in the video being sent for the qualifying round. There must be enough lighting and no background disturbance in the video.
- The YOUTUBE Link should be sent to [email protected], and confirmation of receipt will be sent by email.
- The participants will be evaluated on a predefined list of criteria, including Sur, Taal, Voice Quality, Complexity, and many others, by qualified judges.
- Participants cannot repeat the raag, bandish, song in the final round.
- The judges’ decision for this round will be final and cannot be contested.
- Based on the total score assigned by the judges, we will announce the finalists. The number of finalists in each category is provided in the table below.
- Short feedback on every performance will be provided by email to each participant.
- The list of participants selected for the final round will be sent by email to all participants and also posted on the Svara Sangam website on November 22nd, 2020
- Information regarding the number of participants selected per category for the final round is provided below.
- The final round will be held on zoom and shared on Facebook live on the weekend of December 5th and December 6th. Detailed information regarding the rules for the final round to follow.
Payment and Results details:
- The registration fee for the qualifying round is $25, nonrefundable, and to be paid either by PayPal – [email protected] OR Zelle: [email protected]
- For the final round, selected participants will have to pay the registration fee of $15 by November 29th. Failing to comply, the participant will not be able to perform for the final round and will be replaced by the next participant in the waiting list.
- Since it is a two-day competition, results will be declared on the second day -December 6th, 2020. However, it is a possibility for the results to get delayed due to unavoidable reasons
- Winners will be given cash prizes, which will be paid to them within one week of the announcement of final results (online transfer/ amazon gift card/or cheque)
THE NUMBER OF FINAL PARTICIPANTS TO BE SELECTED IN EACH CATEGORY:
|Categories||Age Limits||Number of participants to be selected final round|
|Classical||10 and under||10|
|Instrumental – (Harmonium and other string instruments)||All age Categories||Only 5 Participants will be selected for the Final Round.|
|Instrumental – Tabla||All age Categories||Only 5 Participants will be selected for the Final Round.|
|Semiclassical||10 and under||10|
|25 and above||5|
Last Day for registration / video submission : Oct 25th 2020 –